As you may know, the EU Referendum is happening on the 23rd June, but there are also LOCAL ELECTIONS for Government happening on the 5th May 2016 too. For both, you need to have registered to vote; and there are deadlines for registering.
For the local elections, the deadline is the 18th April. It takes 5 minutes to register.
For the EU Referendum, the deadline is 7th June. It also takes 5 minutes to register.
It’s REALLY simple to register. So here’s a quick step-by-step guide.
- Head to www.gov.co.uk/register-to-vote
- There’s two options; the Green button with START NOW, or you can click on Register by Post; so if you won’t be in your home constituency at the time of the voting polls, you can vote by post! (Much easier for students!)
- Now with the START NOW button (not postal vote) the link will lead you onto numerous questions; nationality, where you live, date of birth, full name, national insurance number, whether you live at 2 addresses (students!), whether you’d like a postal vote sent to you.
- Once you have gone through all 11 questions, you will double check all the info you have given is correct, and then wait for next instructions!
- You will receive a reference number too!!
- If you click the Register by Post button instead, you will be linked to a fair few different forms, click which one applies to you, and you can fill it in online, making life a bit easier for you.
It’s really that simple, we all just have to wait for further instructions. Remember, voting is one of the best ways to get your say in what’s going on in your area, we cannot moan and whine about Politics on Social Media and not vote, it doesn’t make any sense! Just register to vote, it at least secures your place in time for when the polls open. Again, it only takes 5 minutes!!!