By Jack Essex
If you’ve ever seen Edgar Wright and Simon Pegg’s Shaun of the Dead (hopefully you have because SPOILERS are coming) then you know the Rom-Com-Zom is jam packed full of references, shout outs, Easter eggs, recurring jokes and overall hilarious content from start to finish.
We’ve scoured across the Winchester, killing a few zombies, grabbing Liz and even having a dance to some hip-hop…sorry electro, on the way, to find 5 facts you (probably) didn’t know about the Shaun of the Dead. How’s that for a slice of fried gold?
1. It’s Padded! – When everyone leaves Liz’s flat with weapons, it’s only Shaun who actually hits anyone with his bat. The reason behind this is because everyone else was holding real weapons, rather than Simon Pegg’s padded fake, which may have caused major injuries. I can already see Hot Fuzz’s Sergeant Angel on the case!
2. Shout Out To You – It goes without saying that Wright and Pegg know the horror genre like the back of their hands (or hand, if the zombies have their way). So with this being said, they have gave homage to actors and directors who have had shaped and impacted the horror/zombie genre. Examples includes Shaun’s workplace, Foree Electronics, named after the star of Dawn of the Dead, Ken Foree and the Italian restaurant, Fulci’s, which comes from Italian zombie director Lucio Fulci. Subtle but effective, I like it!
3. The Perfect Shot – When Ed is playing the computer game at the beginning of the film, “top left”, the directions that are given to him by Shaun are repeated by Ed himself, “reload”, telling Shaun where to shoot at the Winchester when the zombies break in: “Ohh nice shot”.
4. Anyone Fancy a Toastie? – John and Bernie, owners of the Winchester are the real names of the landlord and landlady who used to run Simon Pegg’s local pub. The reference doesn’t stop there, John used to make toasted sandwiches for regulars hence the line “the Breville out back”. Pegg and Frost even used to attend the pubs quiz night which was also mentioned in the film when Shaun is knocking on the Winchester’s door and says “we do the quiz”. I’m not too sure if Pegg and Frost actually beat up John with a pool cue though?
5. DJ Shaun – Ever wondered why Shaun has such a large vinyl collection? One thing that was lost in the transformation from script to screen was the idea that Shaun used to be a DJ. The scene where they are dancing to electro shows posters hanging in their apartment which indicate past shows Shaun had performed at. BONUS FACT! These posters also reveal Shaun’s last name… Riley.
And there you have it, five facts you (probably) didn’t know about Shaun of the Dead. What do you think? Have we missed any facts worth adding to the list? Feel free to let us know in the comments.